Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Reflective Post

    
                  This semester has been a difficult one for me. Being a single parent taking two classes and working full time is extremely hard. But I made it, I didn't buckle, I now know I can do it, it can be done. I also know what to expect next semester and how to jungle my course work, my full time job and running a household with two little queens. I think this course wasn't a complete bust. I didn't do as well as I hoped or could have done. But I walk away a better student and a even better future educator.

         I have been taught that having internet access in the classroom can be a gift and a hindrance. Allowing students to work with social media can keep them interested and expand their minds. It also allows parents to be more hands on. They may be like me and have a heavy load and may not be able to stop by in person to ask questions about their child, so checking in online keeps them involved and also them to feel they have an open line of communication with me. The video below is a guide for teachers to set up a portal for parents and students to interact with the teacher and follow the curriculum along with the students. Especially if parents do not speak the native language.

Creating a class website.



       However, it's key to monitor the students online, because cyber-bullying is so prevalent in the grade level I am looking to teacher. So there are tools out their to help teachers navigate internet safely. The link Cyber-bullying helped to show me what to often expect in behaviors of my students and how to act when a situation arises,  how to try to keep it from happening and the effects of those effects.

You should lift people up.A great tool to have visible in your classroom to deter students to not bully others would be to have posters encouraging friendship, they may find it cheesy but it makes them think twice about putting someone down.












       


 Also I realize I need to mindful that students may have a learning disability, teachers may times don't do their research on their students. Children will be placed in the back of the class and they have a vision impairment or they may be facing away from the teacher with a hearing impairment. As an educator its up to me, to get to know my students and to insure they receive a quality education. Which means monitoring their progress, understand their habits and triggers. See what they excel at and what they need to work on. Adjust my teaching habits to reflect the diversity in my classroom and work one on one with students to make sure I do not overlook anyone. Students often times won't voice their difficulties, building a personal relationship with them, will help me come to the conclusion that they need extra help, or a closer seat, or that they need to face my desk.

            This course was an eye opener on things that I missed. It showed me that teaching is not just lesson plans, grading papers and opening minds. Its a more personal job, its showing kindness and compassion. Its helping them build a foundation to success, its helping them make a path and tools to walk it alone. I can't wait to have a class full of unique students and showing them to embrace their differences and how to use their differences as a guide and a tool for success.

                     Thank you professor for the tools to be an effective educator.



References:

  •  Education, M. O. (2014, August 27). Build a Class Website with SharePoint Online. Retrieved May 03, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWsURWwviM 
  •  U.S Department, H. (n.d.). What is Cyberbullying. Retrieved May 03, 2016, from https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/what-is-it/

No comments:

Post a Comment